Dog Kennel Fire
November 3, 2007, employees at Myers Canine Colony on Main Street in Roscoe started smelling smoke. The smoke was coming from the dryer, so they shut off power to it, and evacuated all the dogs and personnel to the fenced in backyard. firefighters arrived to find smoke and fire coming from a window. The fire was located and extinguished. A positive pressure fan was used to rid the building of smoke. The dogs were safe in the backyard until firefighters had to go through there to get to the fire. Every time the door would open, another dog would get away and bolt out. So, the neighboring business, Za Zu Gifts, offered to take the animals in their fenced area. Winnebago County and Roscoe Police officers jumped in to help the employees move the dogs next door and all of them safe and sound.